Skip to main content

God's Enduring Mercy






God’s Enduring Mercy
Luke 15: 1 -32
24th Sunday in Ordinary Time

Introduction

Today’s reading is about God’s enduring mercy. Jesus wanted us to understand the depth, height and breadth of this mercy by giving us three parables that speak eloquently about it.

The Gospel

15 Now the tax collectors and sinners were all drawing near to hear him. And the Pharisees and the scribes grumbled, saying, “This man receives sinners and eats with them.” So he told them this parable: “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance. “Or what woman, having ten silver coins, if she loses one coin, does not light a lamp and sweep the house and seek diligently until she finds it? And when she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ 10 Just so, I tell you, there is joy before the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”
11 And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.
17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.” ’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.
25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’ ”

Reflection

Our reading narrates to us three parables about God’s mercy. Jesus narrated these parables as a result of what many perceived was an unusual gathering of tax collectors and sinners who sought him and who were eager to hear what he had to say.
Taken together, these three parables form, what many call, a trilogy because all three parables have a common theme. Through these parables, Jesus gives us a totally new understanding of God’s mercy, love and compassion.
The main characters of these parables speak about God who is characterized as a shepherd who loses a sheep; a woman who loses a coin; and a father who loses a son.

To understand these parables more deeply, we have to consider the following:

Firstly, all three parables talk about a loss. Here, we see that God’s mercy begins with a sense of loss; it begins with the sad tale of God losing something that is profoundly dear and valuable to him.

Secondly, this profound sense of loss experienced by God creates a certain unease, discomfort and tension in God; this tension and discomfort compels him to look and search; it is a search that is unwavering and at the same time, patient. God seems to have this inexhaustible hope and optimism of one day finding what he has lost.
In the shepherd who loses a sheep, one could imagine the risky gamble the shepherd makes in leaving the ninety-nine to pursue the one that was lost. In the woman who lost a coin, one could imagine how furiously she sweeps the entire house and overturns all the home furnishings in search for the lost coin. In the story of the prodigal son, one could imagine the father patiently waiting day and night for a son he knows not when he returns.

Third, God’s unwavering search and patient waiting succeeds in the end. He regains what was lost. His success in finding what was lost is accompanied by so much joy which he makes public. His joy becomes a community affair and his celebration becomes incomprehensibly lavish. (Indeed, the elder son could not understand the lavishness of it all!)

The lessons of this trilogy is clear: we are precious and beloved because we belong to God. When we lose our way and walk away from God, God feels a great sense of loss and sadness. This troubles him and puts him in a great state of unease and discomfort. This tension compels him to actively pursue us, moving practically everything including heaven and earth just to have us back.  And when we can’t be found, God patiently waits for us and awaits our eventual home coming no matter how long it may take.  
When we get lost, God becomes incomplete; he becomes unhappy. This is why he unwaveringly searches and pursues us, not stopping, not giving up hope until he finds us. And when he does find us, he becomes the happiest person in the universe. His joy is publicly proclaimed and celebrated with incomprehensible lavishness.
These parables speak to us of God’s enduring mercy; a mercy far greater than all our sins; a mercy far greater than all our self-inflicted wounds; a mercy that unwaveringly hounds us day in and day out. We need not be afraid to come back to God whenever we fail. We need only to have confidence in him whose mercies are offered to us every morning for all the days of our life.

Prayer

Dear Lord, thank you for searching for me when I am lost. Thank you for waiting for me to come home. I could not fully understand why you don’t give up on me despite of all the sins I have done. I could not understand why I am so important to you despite my failings. Let me trust in your mercy so that I may not lose my confidence in returning back to you, no matter how much I have failed in my life. Thank you Jesus for your enduring mercy. Thank you for your kindness, compassion and love. Amen.


“ The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “ – Lamentations 3: 22 - 23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus The Living Bread

Jesus The Living Bread Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ Jn 6: 51 – 58 Introduction Today is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ. Today, we remember Jesus giving himself as food and drink for the life of the world. The Gospel 51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52  The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53  So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55  for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57  Just as the living Father sent me, and I

God so Loved the World

God so Loved the World Fourth Sunday of Lent Jn 3: 14 – 21 Today is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Our Gospel reading is a beautiful passage from the Gospel of John. This gospel passage is actually Jesus’ reply to Nicodemus, a Pharisee who came to Jesus under cover of darkness and was searching for answers for the things he could not totally understand.   In this conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus somehow reveals to Nicodemus his own life mission and the very nature of God himself.   Jesus then begins by bringing up to Nicodemus the story of the bronze serpent which Moses lifted up in the desert. This story is narrated in the book of Numbers. In this narrative, the people of Israel while in the desert, began to speak against God and against Moses. As punishment, the Lord sent poisonous serpents among them. Many die that day from being bitten by these serpents.   Then the people begged Moses to ask the Lord to take away the serpents. Moses then pray

Parables of the Kingdom

Parables of the Kingdom 16 th Sunday in Ordinary Time Mt 13: 24 – 43 Introduction Today’s reading presents to us three parables. As Jesus said, parables unlock the secrets of the Kingdom that have remained hidden from the world. The Gospel 24  He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; 25  but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. 26  So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. 27  And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ 28  He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29  But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. 30  Let both of them grow together until the harvest;