Skip to main content

Unshaken









Unshaken
Jn 14: 22 – 29
Sixth Sunday of Easter

Introduction
Today’s reading talks about Jesus who speaks about the the Holy Spirit. The Spirit will teach and remind the disciples all that Jesus has said.

The Gospel

Our reading is a discourse of Jesus on a number of things.
First Jesus says: “ Whoever loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words; yet the word you hear is not mine but that of the Father who sent me. “
Then Jesus goes on to speak about the Holy Spirit and says: “ I have told you this while I am with you. The Advocate, the Holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name, he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you. “
Then, as if bidding his disciples goodbye, Jesus says: “ Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give it to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘ I am going away and I will come back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father; for the Father is greater than I . And now I have told you this before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe. “

Reflection
Today’s reading seems to be a valedictory address of Jesus. Here we see Jesus bidding his disciples goodbye, saying: “ Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid. You heard me tell you, ‘I am going away and I will come back to you.’” Clearly, these words meant saying goodbye. Although he assured his disciples that he will be back, it was pretty clear that he was leaving them for a while.
We also hear Jesus speaking about the Holy Spirit, also called the Advocate. Jesus was clear what the role of the Spirit was when he is gone: “ he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you. “
Jesus speaks also about his and the Father’s indwelling in anyone who keeps his word, saying that whoever loves him will keep his word and his Father will love him, and that he and the Father will come to him and make their  dwelling with him.
On the one hand, we hear Jesus saying goodbye; yet on the other hand, he remains ever present in two instances:
Firstly, through the Spirit. Jesus is clearly with us in his Spirit. His spirit teaches us and reminds us of the words that have been spoken by Jesus. Secondly, Jesus becomes present because of our fidelity to his word. When we keep his word, Jesus and the Father make their indwelling in us.
So here is Jesus, while physically absent, is ever so alive through his spirit and through his word remaining in us! Such presence makes it possible to experience the kind of peace Jesus speaks of: a peace not as the world gives, but as he gives. It is a peace that allows us not to be troubled or afraid; a peace that is possible because the Father, the Son and Spirit have made their home in us through the word that we have kept burning inside our hearts.
When God is present and dwells in us, we experience peace. Indeed, not as the world gives but as he gives it. This peace is not necessarily the absence of conflict or problems. It may be that we are beset with so much problems in life, yet it is still possible to have peace in our hearts; a peace that drives away our fears and our troubled spirits even in the midst of conflicts, problems and pain.
So long as God remains and dwells in us, there is an assurance of peace from the risen Lord. By keeping his word and remaining faithful to it, we are assured of his indwelling in our hearts. As St. Teresa would have said: “ Let nothing disturb you. God is enough. “

Prayer
Dear Jesus, you said that you are leaving us. But in reality, you are ever present in the here and now through your Spirit who continues to remind us of your words and through your words when we keep them faithfully. Be with us Lord, so that we may know the peace that only you can give. Dispel our fears and our troubled spirit so we may remain unshaken through the peace that you give us.  Amen.

 “ I keep the Lord always before me; with him at my right hand, I shall never be shaken.” – Psalm 16: 8








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus The Living Bread

Jesus The Living Bread Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ Jn 6: 51 – 58 Introduction Today is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ. Today, we remember Jesus giving himself as food and drink for the life of the world. The Gospel 51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52  The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53  So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55  for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57  Just as the living Father sent me, and I

God so Loved the World

God so Loved the World Fourth Sunday of Lent Jn 3: 14 – 21 Today is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Our Gospel reading is a beautiful passage from the Gospel of John. This gospel passage is actually Jesus’ reply to Nicodemus, a Pharisee who came to Jesus under cover of darkness and was searching for answers for the things he could not totally understand.   In this conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus somehow reveals to Nicodemus his own life mission and the very nature of God himself.   Jesus then begins by bringing up to Nicodemus the story of the bronze serpent which Moses lifted up in the desert. This story is narrated in the book of Numbers. In this narrative, the people of Israel while in the desert, began to speak against God and against Moses. As punishment, the Lord sent poisonous serpents among them. Many die that day from being bitten by these serpents.   Then the people begged Moses to ask the Lord to take away the serpents. Moses then pray

Parables of the Kingdom

Parables of the Kingdom 16 th Sunday in Ordinary Time Mt 13: 24 – 43 Introduction Today’s reading presents to us three parables. As Jesus said, parables unlock the secrets of the Kingdom that have remained hidden from the world. The Gospel 24  He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; 25  but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. 26  So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. 27  And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ 28  He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29  But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. 30  Let both of them grow together until the harvest;