Skip to main content

My Sheep Hear My Voice








My Sheep Hear My Voice
Jn 10: 27 – 30
Fourth Sunday of Easter

Introduction
In today’s gospel, we hear Jesus talking about the sheep of his flock. There is a bond between Jesus and his sheep; a bond that is both strong and reciprocal. This bond is made possible because of the Father who gives and entrusts the sheep to Jesus.

Gospel
Today’s reading is about Jesus, the good shepherd. Here, we see Jesus describing the intimate bond that exists between himself and the sheepfold, saying: “ My sheep hear my voice; I know them and they follow me.” This bond is both intimate and reciprocal as it is characterized by the shepherd’s knowledge of the sheep and by the sheep’s recognition of the shepherd’s voice . This bond is so strong as it is protective as Jesus himself guarantees eternal life and the safety and security of his sheep, saying: “ I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. No one can take them out of my hand.” 
While there is an intimate bond that exists between sheep and shepherd, Jesus recognizes the Father as one who has made this bond possible. It is the Father who has entrusted the sheep to Jesus. Of this, Jesus says: “ My Father, who has given them to me is greater than all, and no one can take them out of the Father’s hand.” In the Father, we find the same security and protective intents and purposes of Jesus. The gospel then ends with an assertion from Jesus that he and the Father are one.

Reflection

This reading contains one of the more popular images we have of Jesus – that of the good shepherd. This image speaks for itself. It speaks of Jesus’ tender love and loving concern for his sheep. But perhaps, we should also see the context of this image against the overall backdrop of the gospel of John. 
In the gospel of John, we hear Jesus talking about himself as the shepherd and his followers as the sheep. But what is the context of this story? And why did Jesus even bring up this beautiful imagery of the sheep and its shepherd? As it is, in the gospel of John, the story of the good shepherd is told against a backdrop of rejection and disbelief in Jesus. People were already questioning Jesus regarding his assertions about himself. These people did not speak well of Jesus as they said: “He has a demon and is out of his mind. Why listen to him? (10: 20). At one instance they spoke to Jesus, saying:  “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly (10: 24).” To these rejections and disbelief, Jesus said:” I have told you, and you do not believe… you do not believe me because you do not belong to my sheep (10:25-26).”
It was in this context then, that Jesus brings out this imagery of the shepherd and the sheep as his way of explaining the rejection and disbelief that people had of him. Simply put, Jesus said that people do not believe him because they are not his sheep. For Jesus, it is only the sheep of his flock who truly believe and listen to him. People who do not know his voice do not follow him; hence their rejection and disbelief. It is the sheep’s recognition of the shepherd’s voice alone that makes them follow the shepherd. Those who belong to the sheepfold have no trouble recognizing the shepherd’s voice which they instinctively follow and heed.
The imagery of the good shepherd and his sheep then portray those who have accepted and followed Jesus in contrast with those who lack faith and have rejected Jesus. Those who belong to the sheepfold listen and follow the Lord. Those who do not, have trouble even in recognizing his voice. The ability to recognize the shepherd’s voice then is one of the qualities of those who belong to Jesus’ flock.
This gospel in a way challenges us in our ability to recognize the Lord’s voice. Only in recognizing the Lord’s voice are we able to follow him. And only in following him, are we guaranteed the protection and safety accorded by the good shepherd himself.
While we may not hear the Lord’s voice audibly just like the other voices we are familiar with, we should be able to hear his voice in the daily circumstances of our life as the Lord guides us, encourages us, reprimands us and affirms his love for us.
In the middle of life’s joys and sorrows, hopes and fears, there is always the voice of the good shepherd who never really leaves us to ourselves. His voice leads us to where we should go, or what we should do. His voice consoles us when we feel life’s burdens. And his voice speaks of his tender love for us who in faith believe and follow him. His voice speaks of mercy and compassion when we go astray. And his voice speaks of peace to our tired and weary hearts that seek rest.
If we believe in Jesus as the good shepherd, we will not only recognize his voice. We shall also experience the security and protection that he gives to those who hear and believe in him. The good shepherd is very protective. He said that no one will ever snatch the sheep from his hands. This gives us assurance and need not be filled with anxiety or fear, as the Lord himself will become our shield, our protector in times of need. It is very reassuring indeed, that whatever path we take, whatever happens to us in life, we will never be alone in our journey, as the Lord will be there to guide us as we listen to his voice.

Prayer
Jesus, help me to recognize your voice each day so that I may learn to follow where your voice leads me. Keep me under your firm and secure protection as my shepherd so that I may not go astray. Lead me to the paths you have made for me that I may no longer be afraid of walking alone by myself, knowing that you are there by my side. Amen.

“ The Lord is my shepherd, there is nothing I shall want. Fresh and green are the pastures where he leads me to repose. Near restful waters he leads me to revive my drooping spirit.” – Psalm 23







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus The Living Bread

Jesus The Living Bread Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ Jn 6: 51 – 58 Introduction Today is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ. Today, we remember Jesus giving himself as food and drink for the life of the world. The Gospel 51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52  The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53  So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55  for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57  Just as the living Father sent me, and I

God so Loved the World

God so Loved the World Fourth Sunday of Lent Jn 3: 14 – 21 Today is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Our Gospel reading is a beautiful passage from the Gospel of John. This gospel passage is actually Jesus’ reply to Nicodemus, a Pharisee who came to Jesus under cover of darkness and was searching for answers for the things he could not totally understand.   In this conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus somehow reveals to Nicodemus his own life mission and the very nature of God himself.   Jesus then begins by bringing up to Nicodemus the story of the bronze serpent which Moses lifted up in the desert. This story is narrated in the book of Numbers. In this narrative, the people of Israel while in the desert, began to speak against God and against Moses. As punishment, the Lord sent poisonous serpents among them. Many die that day from being bitten by these serpents.   Then the people begged Moses to ask the Lord to take away the serpents. Moses then pray

Parables of the Kingdom

Parables of the Kingdom 16 th Sunday in Ordinary Time Mt 13: 24 – 43 Introduction Today’s reading presents to us three parables. As Jesus said, parables unlock the secrets of the Kingdom that have remained hidden from the world. The Gospel 24  He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; 25  but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. 26  So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. 27  And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ 28  He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29  But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. 30  Let both of them grow together until the harvest;