Skip to main content

We Wish to See Jesus





We Wish to See Jesus
Fifth Sunday of Lent
Jn 12: 20 -33


Today is the Fifth Sunday of Lent. Our reading takes us to a time when some Greeks were asking to see Jesus. The Passover feast was near. Expectedly, many Jews went in throngs to the temple in Jerusalem to celebrate the feast. It is surprising however, to see non- Jews, like Greeks who were there to worship. But it is even more surprising that they were looking for Jesus. They came to Philip and said to him, " Sir, we wish to see Jesus."
Then, after this brief introduction, Jesus says something enigmatic: “ The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified.” The title Son of Man was a title used by the prophet Daniel to describe his vision of the one who came with the clouds of heaven and to whom dominion, glory and kingship was given at the defeat of evil (Daniel 7:13 – 14). Jesus appropriates this title for himself here. Like the Son of Man in Daniel, he will deliver the world by driving out the ruler of this world. The ruler of this world is none other than Satan himself.  Now for Jesus, the time to deliver the world has come. This is why he says “the hour” has come. Jesus knows that it was time for him to lay down his life on the cross.
Jesus then goes on further. He compares his death to a grain of wheat that unless it falls to the ground and dies, it remains just a grain of wheat, but if it dies, it produces much fruit. In saying this, Jesus tells us that unless he dies, his life would be meaningless and unfruitful. Death for Jesus was his reason for being - it was his life’s purpose. He asserts this when he said: “ it was for this purpose that I came to this hour: Father, glorify your name.”
In this gospel passage too, we encounter the word “glory/glorify” four times. What does it mean and what seems to be its significance in this gospel? For the Jews, the word glory had a particular meaning. When God appeared in Sinai, people saw his “glory” ever so radiant, shining and splendid. Glory would then mean the visual appearance of God himself. In this gospel passage, glory would have the same sense. God’s glory would shine so brightly before mankind only in the cross. In Jesus’ death on the cross, the fullness of God’s glory is shown and revealed. We see God for who he is when Jesus dies on the cross!
At the end of this gospel reading, we somehow come to understand why the evangelist John places the presence of some Greeks who sought Jesus. Jesus says: “ And when I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw everyone to myself.” When Jesus dies on the cross, or when he is lifted up from the earth, he will draw all to himself. The death of Jesus is for everyone, even for non-Jews like the Greeks who sought Jesus. It is the crucified Savior that brings mankind together, drawing everyone to himself, drawing them to the real face of God. Jesus dies for all so that he can gather once more the scattered children of God.
As we read through this gospel passage, we are made to understand that Jesus gave himself up freely to die on the cross. His death on the cross was something that was intentionally planned by the Father for the purpose of defeating the ruler of this world, Satan, who holds us captive. Only in dying on the cross will Jesus’ life become fruitful and meaningful, for it was for this that he came into this world. Best of all, if we really want to see the face of God, we can see it splendidly radiating its brightness in Jesus hanging on the cross. There, we see who God really is.
Knowing that God is someone who is willing to give his life for me should make me realize that I am indeed surrounded by so much love, care and concern. For Jesus to make death on the cross his life’s purpose is something that should make me realize that God will not spare anything for my sake. And should I want to know and see the real face of God, I just need to look at Jesus dying on the cross. There I see a God who suffers and is willing to give his own life because he wants to redeem me. And so, like the Greeks who went seeking for Jesus, I pray to him who is crucified on the cross, “ draw me to yourself, crucified Lord, that I may always seek you. That in seeking you, I may come to know and understand your unfathomable love for me. “ Amen.


“Jesus was about to die for the nation, and not for the nation only, but to gather into one the dispersed children of God.” ( John 11: 51 – 52)

Comments

  1. Deer-in-headlights I am with this week's reflection. I lean back and sigh, closing my eyes to remember what I had forgotten ... He dies on the cross for foolish me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Death gives birth to life. I remember that prayer-song.
    Thanks for this sharing, Br. Mike.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus The Living Bread

Jesus The Living Bread Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ Jn 6: 51 – 58 Introduction Today is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ. Today, we remember Jesus giving himself as food and drink for the life of the world. The Gospel 51  I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” 52  The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53  So Jesus said to them, “Very truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55  for my flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56  Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57  Just as the living Father sent me, and I

God so Loved the World

God so Loved the World Fourth Sunday of Lent Jn 3: 14 – 21 Today is the fourth Sunday of Lent. Our Gospel reading is a beautiful passage from the Gospel of John. This gospel passage is actually Jesus’ reply to Nicodemus, a Pharisee who came to Jesus under cover of darkness and was searching for answers for the things he could not totally understand.   In this conversation with Nicodemus, Jesus somehow reveals to Nicodemus his own life mission and the very nature of God himself.   Jesus then begins by bringing up to Nicodemus the story of the bronze serpent which Moses lifted up in the desert. This story is narrated in the book of Numbers. In this narrative, the people of Israel while in the desert, began to speak against God and against Moses. As punishment, the Lord sent poisonous serpents among them. Many die that day from being bitten by these serpents.   Then the people begged Moses to ask the Lord to take away the serpents. Moses then pray

Parables of the Kingdom

Parables of the Kingdom 16 th Sunday in Ordinary Time Mt 13: 24 – 43 Introduction Today’s reading presents to us three parables. As Jesus said, parables unlock the secrets of the Kingdom that have remained hidden from the world. The Gospel 24  He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; 25  but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. 26  So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. 27  And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ 28  He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29  But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. 30  Let both of them grow together until the harvest;